Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Review: Etude House Blackhead Remover Dual Sheet

at 12:50 AM

Koreans have superbly smooth, flawless and porcelain-white skin. It’s no wonder why Korean beauty stores are such a hit, and people flock to it.

Part of having smooth, flawless skin includes the non-existence of whiteheads and blackheads which are common problems of both male and female, old and young, rich and poor. It’s a good thing Etude House offers this product, Black Head Remover Dual Sheet, which is a two-stage blackhead removal and care system formulated with fruit and herbal extracts.




Includes:
  • Black Head Remover Sheet. Formulated with a fruit complex to supply Alpha Hydroxy Acids for mild skin peel exfoliation, remover sheet draws out pore residues for wipe off removal. Contains Orange, Lemon and Grape extracts.
  •  Tightening Gel Sheet. Formulated with fresh herbs to heal and soothe pores, gel sheet tightens and nourishes pores with cooling sensation. Contains Rosemary, Lavender and Peppermint.

Price: Php78.00 (around 2USD)

Volume:
  • Black Head Remover Sheet. 3ml (0.10 fl. Oz)
  • Tightening Gel Sheet. 1.2 g(0.04 oz)

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this during my recent haul (read more about it here) and immediately placed one in my basket. I’ve never heard about it, nor saw it (I always went straight to their nail polishes), but bought it anyway. This product involves two steps: first is to draw out impurities and second is to heal and soothe the pores. Now this was all new to me. I’ve tried nose peeling creams but never did it come with a soothing gel or something.

How to use (copied verbatim from packaging):

1. Remover film from and adhere remover sheet over nasal area. Leave on for 15 minutes then remove.
  • Tip: Use either warm water or steamed towel to open pores prior to application.

2. Use cotton swab or pad to wipe exposed sebum, blackheads/whiteheads with downward motion.

3. Remove film from and adhere gel sheet to same area. Leave on for 15 minutes then remove.

Start with a clean face, and open up your pores.

Opening up pores with a warm water-soaked towel

Bare nose... Eew.
First, I detached the BHRS from the TGS, which was clearly the thing to do as there were “cut this line” marks in the middle of the whole pack. After that, I opened the BHRS. Okay, I don’t know if everyone thinks the way I do, but I was expecting a peel-off strip as the BHRS. To my surprise, it was a cloth-like pad, wet with solution. I was thinking “What the... where’s the film to remove? Why is it wet? Is this the remover sheet? They must have mixed it up and switched places with the gel sheet.”

So what I did was open the TGS, and found a strip with an opaque white plastic film stuck to it. I peeled the film off a little and the strip was the gel strip. So no, they did not mix it up.

I went back to the BHRS and peeled a part of it (EVEN IF it wasn’t a film and looks like it REALLY is part of the strip), thinking I needed to peel something off as indicated in the directions. When I did this, the solution squeezed out from the strip making it easier for my skin to absorb it. I placed it on my nose, and left it for 15 minutes.


It smelled kind of strong but it didn’t disturb me, I actually liked how it smelled. However, I was thinking “can this really take the blackheads out? How?”. Again, to my surprise, when I took the strip off, whiteheads and sebum were like pulled out from my nose. My nose looked like a strawberry! (Yay? Haha)

Used BHRS

The strawberry look is not evident here

I took several pictures, hoping to snap a decent one, but failed. When I looked at the mirror(maybe after a minute), all the sebum and whiteheads vanished! I don’t know what happened, really. Were they absorbed right back in? I don’t know. Anyhoo, following the directions, I wiped my nose with clean cotton swabs. I was puzzled though because as translated into English, the nose was supposed to be wiped downwards, but the illustration showed otherwise.

Downwards? Looks more upwards to me
Since there were a lot of grammatical errors, I doubted the English translation and followed the illustration instead and wiped my nose upwards :P

Next, I did procedure 3 (now this I didn’t like the smell), 


and when I took the gel strip off, numerous blackheads were visible. It’s as if all my blackheads came out. I didn’t know what to do! I tried to prick one, as it might be the right thing to do, now that they were all up and ready, but it didn’t work. So I just wiped my nose clean and that was the end of it.


Tada!

This definitely had a lot of surprises for me. I know my review would be kind of biased if I do this but maybe I should have researched about it before I used the pack.

Will I repurchase? Yes! I’d like to try it one more time, I did see it draw out some of those nasty bits :)

What do you think? Any experience similar to mine? Do share! :D

7 comments:

Ying was here on November 11, 2011 at 9:39 PM said...

I was googling coz' I thought there was something wrong with the Black head remover sheet! I'm so happy that i stumbled across this blog! hahaha yeah, i was shocked, i thought it would be sticky and dry and not wet!!!! And the whiteheads came out for me too! And after the gel sheet, the black heads were visble :/ cldn't do much and i know i shldn't but squeezed them out! Glad I didn't get a defective packet!

Mica on November 11, 2011 at 10:42 PM said...

Hi Ying! I tried to squeeze them out too but nothing happened. The squeezing just made my big nose even bigger ^_^ Glad to be of service!

Anonymous said...

HOMG nakaka-comment na ko. Haha! Sorry sa abala XD Anyway, bumili kasi ako nito and na-confuse ako ng bongga :O May tamang side ba yung first strip or something? Walang nagawa for me at all 'to :(

Mica on August 12, 2012 at 2:37 PM said...

Hi Marianne! I don't think may tamang side sya. Do what I did na lang to extract the liquid better ;) Or try other products, I've reviewed tons of nose strips ;)

Thank you so much for informing me about the commenting problem! Happy reading! :)

Maryani on August 13, 2012 at 1:42 AM said...

Ginawa ko siya e, pero no effect talaga! Hahaha. Ah sige tingnan ko, thank you! :) Nose strip person rin ako e (BOO BLACKHEADS) at so far ang pinaka-effective sakin e yung sa Watsons, yung nasa pink na box :))

No problem!

Mica on August 18, 2012 at 1:39 PM said...

Baka kelangan bilhin yung buong set ng line na yun :)) Thanks for sharing! Try ko nga din. Haha

Unknown on April 20, 2014 at 6:50 AM said...

How much po and where can we buy the Black Head Remover? Hehehe. I agree with you, Filipinos love Korean beauty products.
xo,
~Pauline @ Kallony

 

Smizing Up, One Step at a Time Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos